Friday, February 8, 2008

Lenten Recipes

As a family, we decided to give up meat for Lent. So, that means no hamburgers, chicken or porkchops during our time of fasting. We will eat dairy, eggs and fish, as well as beans and some soy for the protein.

I found lots of recipes on the following websites that look very good:

All Recipes Vegetarian

Fat Free Vegan

Yesterday, I made crockpot navy bean soup:

Crock Pot Navy Bean Soup

This soup is supposed to be "The best Navy Bean Soup recipe ever!"
Ingredients
1 lb. Dried navy beans
2 cans Broth
2 cans Diced tomatoes
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp. Paprika
1 Bay leaf
1 t. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Thyme
Pinch cheyanne pepper
Preparation

Soak beans overnight. Rinse and drain. Put all ingredients into crockpot and add water to cover (by an inch).

Cook on low 4 to 8 hours or until beans are tender.


It is very good and makes a ton of soup! I did make two changes as I used very little cayenne pepper (misspelled above from the web), and used one quart of Wolfgang Puck's Organic Vegetable Broth. It's one of my favorites and a staple around here. It does cost a little more than regular veggie broth, but the taste is far superior to most broths on the market. Another brand I like is Kitchen Basics, but it's very difficult to obtain around here.

I'm glad my family likes beans and lentils, otherwise we'd be in trouble :-)

No comments: